Energy efficiency and conservation is a core consideration in sustainable design. Good design should:
Aim to reduce energy consumption
Provide that energy efficiently
Generate zero carbon energy
At RES Design, this process is implemented effectively by looking at building physics issues and built form to achieve Energy efficiency from initial concept design.
Sustainable Building Physics
Building Physics Consultancy – How we can use the built form, building structure, fabric and facade to make the building work towards reducing energy requirements
One of our key services is to provide advice on how to most effectively service the energy needs of the building to ensure energy and cost efficiency, as well as compliance with planning requirements.
Low Zero Carbon Feasibility
Low and Zero Carbon (LZC) energy sources are increasingly being installed in buildings. Ranging from small scale CHP units to Photovoltaics and Wind Generators where appropriate to the building.
Part L compliance modelling - Modelling for building regulations compliance and BREEAM /Code certification services
ASHRAE Compliant Modelling – Modelling to ASHRAE standards for certification purposes (LEED)
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
The information provided by CFD studies can be used to analyse the impact of a building's emissions to the environment, to predict fire risks, to measure the quality of the internal environment, to design natural ventilation systems and much more. CFD is now playing an increasingly important role in building design.
PV Detailed Design
Solar PV systems are a very reliable and clean source of electricity that can suit a wide range of applications. Solar PV systems include a range of components that are selected according to the system type, site location and application.
Energy audits are defined as “the systemic inspection and analysis of energy use and energy consumption of a system or organisation with the objective of identifying energy flows and the potential for energy efficiency improvements” in accordance with BS EN 16247-1:2011.
RES Design offers the following advantages when it comes to energy audits:
- Extensive experience in the provision of energy audits for a wide spectrum of building types (office, retail, pharmaceutical, laboratories, education)
- Inclusion of all necessary disciplines for a successful energy audit process under one roof ( mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, energy consultants, commissioning engineers)
- Extensive experience in the UK legislative environment where fuel conservation and energy efficiency are regulated by one of the strictest legislation’s globally.
Why do an Audit
Energy audits in buildings can:
- Identify the weak points in a building and it’s operation
- Upgrade the building’s energy performance based on the implementation of short, medium and long term payback efficiency measures.
- Improve the thermal comfort of the building’s occupants by optimising controls.
- Achieve a reduction in operational costs of up to 25%.
- Be part of a corporate green policy by contributing to CO2 emissions reductions.
- Minimize risk in terms of health and safety